Sunday 25 March 2007

Living: beyond the Limits!!!

Share
Limit v, n
(1) To place a limit on, to restrict, to curb, to check, to keep within bounds, to restrain, to confine

(2) The maximum capacity or measure that can be attained

(Pocket Oxford Dictionary)

Enlarge the place of your tent, stretch your curtains wide, do not hold back; lengthen your cords, strengthen your stakes. Isaiah 54:2 (NIV)

This is the theme that my pastor is focusing his messages on this season so I thought to share something along these lines. This word has really been eye opening for me especially in a season where I am going through a lot of personal change. I now see that it is all a part of God pushing me to live beyond the limits that I had previously been confined to.

I love the definition of the word limit..to restrain..we cannot live outside the limits that we have allowed to be imposed in our lives. I always like to think in terms of speed limits. Speed limits are for our protection but even if there were no speed limits, you cannot drive your car faster than the capacity of the car's engine. So also, our lives cannot be more effective than our ability to increase our capacity in the different areas we need to be successful.

There are many limitations out there..the 'system', your gender, your colour, your lack of education, your past, even ignorance can be a limitation..as each of us are unique so also are the limits that we have to face.

To live beyond the limits is to think outside the box, this might make you unpopular but will definitely allow you to leave your own unique mark on this earth. We call people successful because they dared to be different and question the status quo. This is not easy but it is very possible and we need to depend on the wisdom of God and be willing to be streeeeeeeeeetched!
Stretched beyond our comfort zones, stretched beyond the bondage to the familiar (This is the way we have always done it mantra!)

My question(s) to you today is..Are you living at your highest gift and calling or are you allowing limitations to hinder your effectiveness? What do you need today to get to where you want to be in the next 10 years? How are you going to get it/them/there? What is 1 thing you will commit yourself to do in order to increase your capacity today/this week/this month?

I am not preaching at you because I need to do this as well so I am putting it down so I can see it all the time as a reminder. One thing I will do this week is to increase my knowledge in a certain area of my research by asking for help from someone who is an expert in the field rather than depending on my own limited knowledge so I can have more time to focus on the main issues of my research as opposed to spending time trying to do it on my own.

What about you?

Have a blessed week.

No comments: