Thursday 26 April 2007

Life: A-Z; D is for Decisions

Share
Decision (n) A conclusion reached after consideration (Pocket Oxford Dictionary & Thesaurus)

Life is full of decisions, from when I wake up in the morning till when I go to bed at night. From the day that I was born till the day I die, decisions will have to be made. When I was younger, most of the decisions that affected me were made for me by other people a.k.a the parents but one of the 'freebies' that comes with growing older is being able to make my own decisions.

Decisions are powerful because who I am, where I am and what I have are largely based on the decisions that I have made. So am I making the decisions that are taking me where I want and need to be? I used to find it difficult to make important decisions, just being content to allow life to carry me in whatever direction and then looking for something or someone to blame if I ended up somewhere I didn't really like. My wake up call came one fine morning when someone told me that 'not to make a decision is a decision in itself'. It's like my eyes were opened and at the end of the day like my pastor says "If it is to be, it is up to me".

So now I'm learning to make decisions. It's not easy, the road to success is usually accompanied with some tough ones. I've had to make some painful ones especially in the area of relationships. I've had to let go of some things and some people so that I can follow the purpose that God has for me. I've had to make some decisions concerning my health and my lifestyle especially in the area of diet and exercise (this has been one of the hardest!)

So what am I saying, we can't always blame others and external factors for where we are in life, it's largely due to the decisions that we have made. The good news is that if I don't like where I'm standing then I can make a decision to move. Is it always easy? The answer is no, some decisions are harder than others. Is it possible? Yes, as long as we are willing to admit there is room for change and take the steps towards where we need to be. Even the definition of decision shows that there must be a thought process before it can be carried out!

Another thing I've learnt is that when I commit my decision process to the source of all wisdom, I make the right ones. Problems come when I want to go on my own way so Lord please give me wisdom for every single step, for every single day, hour and minute so that I can remain in the purpose You have designed for me.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6 (NKJV)

Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it." Isiah 30:21 (NIV)

Remain blessed

4 comments:

Truth said...

God bless you for the time you mapped out to encourage us on the issues of lif.I relly understand it from your point of view. There are a lot of us that have allowed fear of whatever to cripple most of our decisions in the past, only to wake up ain later life as if awaken from a dream that time has passed us by.But thank God for God, it is never too late with Him. So,now i allow my decisions to be approved of Him, and since i make those decisions, He gives me wisdom all the time i make one. thanks and God bless.

Zoe Believer said...

@truth:The more we learn to trust that He has our best interests at heart, the more we can learn to lean on His wisdom.

@pink-satin: Thanks for visiting my blog and your comment.

Daddy's Girl said...

Your thoughts on this have reminded me of some truths - I have to take responsibility for my own decisions and their outcomes, I have to be courageous enough to take tough decisions sometimes, and I make better decisions under God's guidance. Thanks.

Zoe Believer said...

@DG: I couldn't have summarised it better. Remain blessed