Thursday 20 January 2011

The love of God

Share
Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? 

Romans 8:35

Sometimes I make the mistake of thinking that loving God and God loving me is the same thing. I compare the love God has for us to the way a husband loves his wife, a mother her baby, football fans their club, a dedicated worker his job. However, Paul gives us an inclination of how much God loves us;

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord

Romans 8:38-39

God is not a 'grandfather' in the skies who either nods impotently when we do wrong or send fire and brimstone to judge us. He loves us according to His nature which our human hearts may have an inkling of but never hope to fully understand. His desire is not that we understand but that we accept His love. We can never hope to love anyone as He loves us. God does not love me the way my best friend does multiplied a million times. God is God. He does reveal Himself to us directly and through His Word and that is why it is a journey, a journey of love.

Happy birthday T.O.M. You've taught me about love from a totally different perspective. I pray for God's goodness to always be manifest in your life. Today and every day.

3 comments:

jhazmyn said...

God's love is something I most times think we would never fully grasp until we meet with Him face to face...yet I dare to pray like Paul..."that I may come to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge"

Jennifer A. said...

God's love is surreal. Lol. No matter what we do, He still loves us the same. Can you imagine? It's so deep and indescribable.

Prayer: Father, teach me to love like You.

Zoe Believer said...

@ Jaycee: Yes it is. I feel like I'm just touching the fringes and there are depths and levels that I'm yet to find.