Friday 21 January 2011

iPray Fridays: Lord teach us to pray

Share
One day Jesus was praying in a certain place. When he finished, one of his disciples said to him, “Lord, teach us to pray, just as John taught his disciples.” He said to them, “When you pray, say:

Luke 11:1-2



'Lord, teach us to pray' the disciples made this request of Jesus after he had finished praying. Why did they ask Him this? Why not just ask for the ability to do miracles, to heal the sick and raise the dead. I guess they keyed in to the rev that praying in private was responsible for power in public. (Now that's deep, thank you Holy Spirit). Well, its not only about having power, its about deepening our relationship with God. 


We are always told that the foundation of all good relationships is communication. Prayer is simply that and yet sometimes I don't know what to do or what to say. I am overwhelmed and sometimes I don't even have a desire to pray. So today I'm praying for Jesus to teach me to pray. This post was inspired by a few lines I read in Andrew Murray's 'With Christ in the school of prayer'. Dear Lord, please teach me how to pray and how to pray effectively.


I was just thinking....the saints of old they didn't have personal Bibles or prayer manuals and yet they prayed some 'mean' prayers! Not saying these are not important because they are but I think our prayers should be more powerful and effective in this season. Teach us to pray O lord.


So today's iPray is asking Jesus to teach us to pray, taking time to reflect and meditate on His teaching about prayer in the word and actually praying. Prayer is like running, it doesn't matter how much you know about it if you're not doing it!


Let's pray together....click comments!


N.B Feel free to pray about anything you like. I love reading your prayers, pray some of them too!

1 comment:

Zoe Believer said...

Dear Jesus

Thank You for the revelation that You have given us in Your word. Who am I but a child ever dependent on Your grace? Give me the grace to pray. The harvest is ready but the labourers are few. Teach me to pray that the Lord of the harvest will send out labourers into the field. Help me Lord. Show me how to pray, give me the strength to pray. Teach me to pray as I should. With faith believing that I have an answer to my prayers. In intercession, praying for the needs of others as I would for myself. God bless.