Wednesday 22 February 2012

Lenten reflections: Fixated on the future

Share
'Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: FORGETTING what is behind and STRAINING toward what is ahead.'

Philippians 3:13

I got a powerful 'Inspiration in your Inbox' recently that reminded me of the verse above. It reminded me how important sharing can be. We sometimes literally have the power to change someone's day. Share something beautiful today. 

Its a very popular verse. We all have it memorised, immortalised in our journals, on plaques, on Tshirts and mugs but how many of us are really doing this? I must raise my hand and admit my guilt. I so often find myself trapped in the past, unable to guard my heart with all diligence against the onslaught of past mistakes, past hurts and even past victories. Sometimes the good old days can be an obstacle to the great present days and awesome future days.

When I am down or when things are not working, I find myself drifting into the past. Thinking about who hurt me, how unfair X and Y were to me. Thinking about who I hurt, asking myself if God is punishing me for something I may have done. Even after asking forgiveness, my heart keeps asking God to forgive even things I don't know I have done..it sounds so silly writing it down now..lol!

I realised as I read that email that there were some things I just had to let go of and move on. I believe God spoke to my heart and told me that the way to let go of the past is to be fixated on the future. Seeing where you can be. The beauty the future holds and beginning to work towards it. Paul used the verb 'straining' towards what is ahead. Strain means pressure, when you strain, it is not something that comes to you naturally. 

Letting go and looking ahead is more than reciting the Bible verse. It takes work and yes I find myself slipping sometimes. But I have made a commitment to wipe the slate clean with some people and over some issues. I had some really nice tweets on this issue last week but it also included throwing some stuff out. What's the point of holding on to a picture, a card, a whatever it is that has the power to take you back 10 years, 3 years, 1 month and put you in a sad place. That belongs in the bin. Whatever it takes, let's get fixated on our future.

Letting it go and moving on

ZoeB


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Future predictive points towards it. Thank you for sharing this ideas.

best e-commerce service provider | best web site developer