Wednesday 19 March 2008

You've heard the word, so watcha gonna do about it??

Share
I don't even know where that title came from, i was just spending some time reading the word and that statement dropped into my spirit. As believers in this age, we have access to the Word of God as it has never been before. We can listen to Christian radio, TV, podcast, we can watch a service live on the Internet. We have the Bible in so many translations, sizes and languages. This week my friend gave me the New Testament in Igbo sef ( o dikwa very wondrous..LOL!!) I think what the Holy Spirit was trying to say to me was that the issue was not necessarily the AVAILABILITY of the word but the USABILITY (sorry for poor grammar)of the word in my life.

We know so many things about the word of God. For example

It was there in the beginning (John 1:1)
It does not return empty but accomplishes His desire (Isaiah 55:11)
It is living and active (Hebrews 4:12)
It enables us to overcome (Revelation 12:11)
It has been exalted above all things (Psalm 138:2)
It is a lamp for our feet and a light for our path (Psalm 119:105)

We know what the Word of God is and what it can accomplish in our lives, my question was then, why isn't my life always a true reflection of the Word of God? The answer I received was.....

First, there is the issue of timing. Joeseph received a word from God concerning his destiny, that it would be very great but his life at some points seemed to be in direct contrast to what he had heard. Psalm 105:17-19 (KJV)says until the time that his word came; the word of the Lord tried Him. Be encouraged that even when your physical eyes see something different from what you know in your spirit to be true, that the Lord makes all things beautiful in its time (Ecc 3:11).

A very fundamental issue however, is how we receive the word of God. This is how it came to me,

'Believer, have you become so accustomed to the Scriptures that you can already anticipate what will be preached when it is quoted? Do you know it all, have heard it all and seen it all? Believer, allow the Word to be fresh and renewed in your life on a daily basis. Be hungry for the word of God. I know you enjoy it but be so hungry for it, like air, something that it is impossible to live without'.

For the word to become fruitful in our lives (to become flesh John 1:14), it must fall on good soil. Remember the parable of the sower (Mark 4:3-20), the issue was not with the word (seed) but where the word fell. So you've heard the word, watcha gonna do about it? Will you be the roadside, allowing Satan to take the Word away from you? Or will you be a rocky place, not allowing the word to take root in you, just jumping up and down when you hear it? Or will you be in the category, I usually find myself in; the thorns...I hear the word but allow worry, fear, desire for other things and anxiety to choke the life out of it and I wonder why it hasn't produced anything in my life.

For the word to bear fruit, I must be good soil,I love the way Luke explained it (Luke 8:15, NIV). The good soil stands for a noble and good heart. An unrenewed heart cannot be good soil because it is full of things that choke the word of God. We are purified in the trials of life's adversities, like silver where impurities rise to the surface and are skimmed off until the refiner can clearly see His reflection, God places us in the fire of trials until anger bubbles up, until unforgiveness bubbles up, what about envy and jealousy? He continues until He can see His full reflection in us.

So now we are good soil, the word has been sown in us, we have heard the Word, what next? We must RETAIN it. Ponder on it, meditate on it, ask and reflect on what it means to you personally and how you can apply it in your life and situation. Note, you retain what you hear so be careful what you hear. Don't go to where the word is comfortable, go where the word is strong. You will only harvest what has been sown!

When we retain the word, we must also persevere in and for it. The devil is a master strategist and will come to try you. Like Jesus, overcome Him with 'It is written'(Matt 4:1-11). Persevere until the word of God comes to pass, until the intagible becomes tangible.

Hold on
Change is coming
The day is breaking
The night is passing away
with it's darkness
and it's tears
with it's uncertainties
the morning is coming
with it's light
and it's joy
with it's hope


You are blessed and highly favoured. Thanks for taking the time to read. 2008 continues to be our year of UNCOMMON TESTIMONIES.

18 comments:

Nuggets of Gold said...

Doing the word is such a challenge. The command is that we must not be hearers alone but doers of what we hear.

Truth said...

Praise God. This is like listening to the pastor preaching.I will continue to allow His word to reflect in my life even when its not convinient to me to do so.

Anonymous said...

Yes ooo...it is the usability of the word that counts. Head knowledge is not enough...works of faith must follow. Loving it ...

Jennifer A. said...

First off, I love Ecclesiastes 3: 11 because it is very applicable to my life right now..."the Lord makes all things beautiful in its time..."

Ahhhhhhh...when I saw these words I wanted to scream. These phrase or self-questioning is the reason I blog using God's word almost every day...it's the reason the fire keeps burning...it's the reason why it should never get old but instead shd keep blowing a refreshing wind on me: "'Believer, have you become so accustomed to the Scriptures that you can already anticipate what will be preached when it is quoted? Do you know it all, have heard it all and seen it all? Believer, allow the Word to be fresh and renewed in your life on a daily basis. Be hungry for the word of God. I know you enjoy it but be so hungry for it, like air, something that it is impossible to live without'."

Oh, may 2008 be the year of uncommon testimonies for me...there are many things I'm waiting on God for...so many. While I wait, I'll keep renewing my strength with His word...

Ahhhhh, I love ur blog so much believer. I can never step out of it without being refreshed and educated more...(thanks :))

Anonymous said...

hiya babes its chichi; happy easter. hope u alrite. x.

Aijay said...

Hi B, thanks so much for the post. Keep doing this.
Take care babes!

Prettylyf said...

Beautiful

Arewa said...

I love this''Be encouraged that even when your physical eyes see something different from what you know in your spirit to be true, that the Lord makes all things beautiful in its time (Ecc 3:11).
Praise be to HIS name....
Just what i needed to satart my day... u r truly blessed x x x

Lady A said...

Thanks for the encourgement, I really needed.

The Life of a Stranger called me said...

I am continually out to shame. I pray His word continues toi reflect the life I lead. Merciful God help us all in this.

O'Dee said...

Seeing d word in a new light is very impt.

9cly written.

Thirty + said...

My eyes have caught some truth on this post but have not fully read so i am printing so I can go and read over and over again.

Gotta go, much llove and have a fab weekend

xxx

AJIKE said...

Amen oo.....nice one babes!

Anonymous said...

u need to update

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

This was very encouraging. Thank you so very much!

Prettylyf said...

I'm going to strive to live in His house all the days of my life

Zoe Believer said...

@all:I'm sorry, i disappeared for a while. Thanks for your comments. We should keep encouraging each other. Living by the word is challenging because we must wrestle with our carnal nature to live by the spirit. Remain blessed and highly favoured

Zoe Believer said...

Forgot to say..I love u all